We have modeled our office space in 3d and scaled it so that our team can interact in a reproduction of our office. This model is scaled up to the same size of the entire space. The issue if a user joins the space on a mobile device, they lose the ability to navigate that space. Users tapping on the floor of the environment results in them tapping the scaled model/object instead of moving their avatar. By adding a custom space/environment "mode", a user could add environment 3d models, rotate them on the x,y axis (z axis rotation is cumbersome), scale them appropriately and then switch back into the normal space experience. Users coming into that space would now be able to move around and interact normally with objects/boards without default controls being triggered on tap, etc. (un/lock, scaling, moving, deleting). This also opens up the roadmap for further features and monetization.Roadmap for custom spaces:
- Create sound "cells" where drawing spheres or capsules regionalize audio for users. Users moving in and around the space would enable them to hear the discussion going on within the cell. Specially there could be breakout rooms where that audio is localized to that space.
- Create 1 to many sticky whiteboards
- Lock spaces/doors needing approval to access
- Reserve or book rooms
- Create multiple "floors" or planes that can anchor users
- Marketplace: spatial creates premium spaces and approved users can create unique or custom spaces for meetings. Most people don't have the resources to create a space tailored to their brand – but now they could browse a whole catalog of creative meeting spaces with varying degrees of utility.
I think this is also something that will strengthen Spatial's non-existent anchor pricing. 5gb means nothing to teams right now. Giving them the option to create a 'virtual office' that's on-brand and getting key stakeholders involved is the way non-vr headset owners start to connect the dots. "Oh... we're not doing the big office spend, let's invest a little into making a space that works best for our teams".I'll be posting a more robust video on my linkedin related to how new users to spatial can create a custom 'space' but obviously with that these limitations still exist.
Please sign in to leave a comment.