There are a few default environment options we offer in Spatial, like the Gallery and Outdoors, and you can upload any 3D model and set it as your custom environment, but what if you could get beautiful limited edition environments created by some of the world's most talented 3D designers? Now you can.
Starting in December 2021, Spatial is collaborating with a few artists on limited-run environments for you to use right within Spatial. Want to use these collectible environments on other platform? You can! The NFTs are GLB files that are stored on Arweave, meaning they are instantly interoperable with any other platform.
Note: In order to purchase a collectible environment, you will need a MetaMask account/wallet and the cryptocurrency Ethereum. (We hope to support other wallets and cryptocurrencies in the future.) Be sure to also add the MetaMask integration in Spatial by following these steps
How to Collect an NFT Environment
- From the Spatial web app home screen, create a new space by clicking on "+New".
- Now you will see a list of environment options. Any environment with the "collectible" icon is one you can, well, collect.
- If you do not already own the environment, you will be prompted to view the listing on OpenSea, where you can purchase it using funds from your MetaMask wallet.
- Once you purchase the environment, you can return to Spatial and use it as the custom environment for any spaces you create!
Why Collect/Purchase NFT Environments on Spatial?
- Can I buy an environment using "fiat" currency (dollars, Euros, etc.)?
To purchase/collect these environments you will need to use cryptocurrency such as Ethereum. You can trade fiat currency for cryptocurrency using popular trusted exchanges like Coinbase.
- What if I sell my environment to someone else?
If you sell/trade one of these collectible environment, you will no longer be able to use it as an environment when you create new spaces on Spatial. Any spaces you have previously created that use the collectible will have the environment reset to the Abstract environment, and a notification will be displayed on-screen stating that the room owner no longer owns the environment NFT.
- How many times can I use an environment I collect in a Spatial space?
Once you collect an NFT environment, you can use it in as many Spatial spaces as you like!
- I don't like the environment effects that NFTs/crypto has on the environment. What are you doing to mitigate this?
We hear you. We are continuously exploring all the various NFT wallets and cryptocurrencies that are out there, and new ones as they are developed and plan to support more of them in the future - especially ones that offer little to no negative environmental effects. Protecting the environment, and this wonderful planet we all call home, is extremely important to us at Spatial, and we want to reduce our carbon footprint as much as possible.
- Can't I just download/purchase a 3D environment from a site like Sketchfab? Why should I buy an NFT environment?
Yes, you certainly can! These collectible environments are part of limited release collections, meaning you would be one of a small group of people who would own these spaces, giving you a unique space in the metaverse. Plus, NFTs offer a sustainable revenue model for creators, as they make money off of every resale of their work on the secondary markets!
- Will you be offering more collectible environments in the future?
Yes, definitely. If you are a 3D creator and are interested in minting your environments on Spatial, let us know by joining our Discord and messaging our team!
- How do I sell/mint my own 3D environments on Spatial?
We are working with artists directly to mint their creations on Spatial, and hope to open up this capability to all in the near future. More to come soon!