Custom Environments can now be infinitley huge!
Custom Environments and Spawn Points can only be set on Web and VR platforms.
In this article, learn how to:
- Upload, Position, and Scale your 3D file to set it as an explorable Custom Environment.
- Set a Custom Spawn Point.
- Replace your custom environment.
To create a Custom Skybox, visit this guide.
Specifications to target for your environments: Spatial 3D Model Preparation Guide
STEP 1: Select your file. Click the "Set as Environment" Icon.
TIP: When you upload a multi-level environment, you can teleport to multiple levels. Just make sure Advanced Surface Teleportation is toggled on in your Environment settings to enable multi-level teleportation.
STEP 2: Select set as SKYBOX or set as ENVIRONMENT.
- Skybox = The landscape, 360 orb that creates the backdrop
- Environment = The space or structure you'll be immersed in
- Click HERE for instructions to create your own Skybox
STEP 3: Orient your environment.
- On VR, use your controller triggers to rotate, resize and adjust the model to desired scale.
- On Web, use the X, Y, Z, Rotation and Scale tools to orient the model to its desired scale.
- TIP: Notice the grey avatar silhouette and floor grid. The size of this grey avatar relative to the environment is how the scale will appear when you set the space. The floor grid determines the ground level of your space.
- TIP: When scaling, 1 unit = 1 meter.
STEP 4: Scale the model to make sure it feels right and make any final adjustments. Gently use your controllers or mouse to select the environment and shift it as needed. Users in the room will not see you doing this.
TIP: Place your environment's floor level just barely above the floor grid. If you're using a multi-level environment, set your floor level at the lowest floor of your model. See below.
Step 5: Once you've made your adjustments, click Looks Good and become immersed in your space.
Step 6: OPTIONAL: Set a Custom Spawn Point in your environment to determine where users will spawn when they join a space. Navigate to your Environment settings and click Custom Spawn Point. Be sure to lock this point in place using the Lock button.
Set a Custom Spawn Point (Web + VR only)
This point will determine where users will spawn when they join a space.
- Navigate to your Environment settings (...) and click Custom Spawn Point.
- Click and drag the spawn point to the desired location.
- Be sure to lock this point in place using the Lock button.
- Remove or reposition a spawn point by clicking on the white pin and unlocking it, then drag it to the desired location.
Replace your Custom Environment
This feature allows you to quickly replace a custom environment with another model, without the hassle of scaling and positioning. Watch the video below to see how.
Things to keep in mind:
- You can switch between our default environments and your custom environment by going to Settings --> Change environment.
- Each space can have one custom environment saved at a time.
See the full process: